Trends in wedding music may come and go, but the importance of music at a wedding cannot be overstated. Wedding music is integral to the entire ambience of the affair and can play an important part in creating the theme as well by tying all of the elements together.
The latest trends are:
- The cocktail music is now very hot – Jazz, Steel Drum Bands, Mariachi Bands
- Jazz is so hot now that some weddings play only jazz
- Combinations of ethnic music played by multiple bands or a DJ – particularly Latin and Klezmer
- Theme weddings where only music from the particular theme is played
- String quartets and harp-flute-cello ensembles are favourites for dinner music
- Creating a club atmosphere with 2 DJs
- Split sets – creating totally different music styles throughout the evening. Hot jazz could be played during cocktails, softer background music during the meal, and then pump up the volume afterwards.
DJs are becoming more in demand. Years ago people hired a DJ because they couldn’t afford a live band. Not so anymore. DJs are much more versatile, can play any genre of music imaginable, and thanks to modern technology, they have access to enormous music libraries at their fingertips.
Whether you choose music that is avant garde, traditional, ethnic, romantic, or toe-tapping, there is something out there for every taste and budget.